The first stage of any successful Commercial or Industrial Build
The construction of a building is most often the last of a long list of processes for any developer. On commercial and industrial builds, the work begins a long time before – sometimes many years. Land assessment and acquisition, planning, costing exercises, designs and procurement, to name but a few. Amongst these, the assessment of the land for suitability is probably the most critical.
On the surface, the site may well hold promise, but dig down into its history and it may reveal a past that could jeopardise a successful project. Structural engineers and architects can only make assumptions on the suitability of the soils to support the construction.
It is therefore vital that the right people are in place to fully assess and mitigate any potential pitfalls.
At the Mick George Group, we have built a team of experts who are leaders in their fields, from asbestos removal to aggregate supply, waste classification to contaminated soil, and surveying to soil stabilisation – we have them all. Along side us, we use strategic consulting partners – again, leading people in their industries – to verify and support our proposals so that a project has the best start possible, and every chance of success.
All Services Under One Roof
When it comes to the construction of industrial & commercial buildings, the Mick George Group provide a first class service at every stage of the operation. Offering our clients everything they need from one company results in cost savings and a project that runs smoothly from start to finish – from initial investigation through to the construction itself.
A Phased Approach:
Step One: Existing Data Review
- Review of any previous ground investigation, site investigation or remediation plans
- Review of land use
- Historical local environmental considerations – flood risk, flora/fauna, surrounding built environment, mine works, UXO etc
Step Two: Site Investigation
- New ground investigation to obtain soils for analysis
- In-situ testing of soils to ascertain strength
- Sampling of soils to solid strata
- Up-to-date local environmental considerations – flood risk, flora/fauna, surrounding built environment, services
- GPS and local survey to gain topography of the site
Step Three: Geotechnical Laboratory Testing
- In accordance with BS/EN standards
- Full chemical suite
- WAC tests (Waste Acceptance Criteria)
- Soil classifications
- Strength / moisture tests
- Suitability tests for improvement of strength to meet design loadings
- Trials using binders to gain strength – Stabilisation
Contamination Assessment and Testing (if identified previously):
- Heavy metals
- Invasive plants
- VOC and SVOC
Full review of soil conditions:
- Analysis and proposal for soil usage, including treatment proposals
Step Four: Ground Modelling
- Comprehensive assessment of existing vs. proposed construction levels
- Cut/fill modelling to show earthworks operation
- Alternative proposals (if required) for balancing quantities
- Landscape and water attenuation proposals
Step 5: Cost Planning and the Proposal
- Full detailed costings for enabling works
- Option for lump sum
- Option for Mick George to identify risk on ground conditions and provide
- Mick George can also offer ‘all-risk’ options that will reduce commercial,
environmental and time impacts to clients
Step 6: Execution of the Works
- All Earthworks
- Deep drainage installation
- Retaining structures – Gabion etc.
- Surface attenuation & drainage
- Infrastructure and hard standings
- Mechanical & Electrical installation
The Mick George Group are carrying out works to an excellent standard in terms of safety, quality and programme. The Team are continually collaborating well with the Balfour Beatty project team with on-site operations and exploring value engineering opportunities.
The Mick George Group are one of our preferred suppliers and it's down to their competitiveness, reliability, product knowledge and excellent customer services. We can always trust that works are completed efficiently and to the best standard.
Get the latest news & offers