17.02.16 - Dress to Impress Topsoil tips to improve your Lawn
A nice, thick lawn requires healthy soil at its base. If your grass is already established but in need of urgent attention then Mick George Topsoil is the solution you require. Over time the soil texture, appearance and health of your turf will significantly improve.
‘Top-dressing’ is a process of adding a thin layer of soil over your lawn without damaging the existing turf. This will overcome a host of problems including, uneven terrain, growth discrepancies or nutrients depletion.
Micks Handy Tips on how to improve your lawn are:
- ‘Top-dress’ in Spring - allowing the grass to grow before severe heat or cold spells
- Aerate – complete this every 2-3 years, removing plugs of soil for air, water topsoil to penetrate the surface
- Choose the correct Topsoil – It’s worth investing in a Topsoil with a high stone content, thick fibrous roots and 40mm consistency
- Apply ‘Topsoil’ – Spread small amounts at a time in designated areas. Work into the aeration holes and ensuring depth of no more than 1’’ on existing turf
- Watering – Ideally ‘Top-dress’ before a heavy rainfall or give the lawn a good amount of water. Leave for a couple of days before revisiting to flatten surface.
- Plant Grass – Re-sow grass seed over any bare spots that still exist
- How Often – Although trouble spots may need extra attention, standard top-dressing does not require repeat application
The quality of the Topsoil you use will determine the results. Often construction sites can be a fantastic source of premium Topsoil. Note that imported Topsoil can cause invasive plants and weeds such as Japanese Knotweed.
Mick George Ltd provides Bulk Bags of Topsoil perfect for all types of DIY projects and can easily be purchased at www.mickgeorge.co.uk. Supplying households and businesses right across Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire as well as many surrounding areas.