Contact Us
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

CUFC Charity Match 2018

It was a positive weekend for everyone connected with Cambridge United FC. Not only did the team manage to pick up a valuable point on their travels to league leaders, Lincoln City, but back at the Abbey Stadium, Club fans were treated to a special charity match which welcomed back former legends of yesteryear.

The fourth Mick George Charity Match was once again another fantastic occasion, raising a commendable £2,350 for the ongoing medical assistance of U’s supporter Simon Dobbin, who was in attendance on the evening alongside wife Nicole, and members of the wider family.

On the pitch, five familiar faces (John Taylor, Danny Potter, Luke Chadwick, Ian Miller and Omer Riza) returned to ‘don’ the U’s strip alongside twenty-four lifelong Club supporters, while the dugouts withstood the verbal pounding of another former player; Andy Duncan who took up the managerial reigns of the away side.

If the opening five minutes were anything to go by, then Duncan’ would have been throwing his proverbial ‘hat’ in the ring for any forthcoming managerial vacancies, as he watched his team passing the ball about with a ‘swagger’ reminiscent of Barcelona.

Orchestrated by Ian ‘Dusty’ Miller and Omer Riza throughout the spine of the team, Duncan’s men controlled the opening exchanges.

However, after dominating for large periods, they found themselves one behind after John ‘Shaggy’ Taylor rolled back the years, bending a long-range effort in to the top corner. Despite being one of the oldest players on the pitch, the charismatic ‘Shaggy’ proved his credentials, confirming just why he was a fans favourite during his spell at the Club.

Duncan’s team rallied once again and those in attendance were treated to a ‘worldie’ from Stuart Proudfoot. After receiving the ball on the left wing, Stuart cut inside his defender on to his right foot, opened up his body and sent a curling shot beyond the helpless Danny Potter, while he and the 300 guests seated in the main stand could only look on applaud what they’d just witnessed.

The game was evenly contested for the majority of the first half with incredible misses from both sides, most notably from James Denton who turned the ball over the bar from less than two-yards, which was then reciprocated at the other end when Nathan Stokes hit the post from a similar distance – however, the latter did go on to redeem himself.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man. Step forward Josh Coulson who without invite found himself in the technical area of the home side passing on instructions. An ingenious substitution which saw Ryan Johnson enter the game turned the game in favour of the home team.

Johnson combined with Chadwick on multiple occasions to notch a hat-trick in a matter of minutes turning the game on its head.

At 4.1, the game began to open up a little which seemed to play in to the hands of Duncan’s team who gallantly fought back, and with just 20 minutes remaining pulled the match back to 5.5.

Home team goalkeeper Danny Potter took it upon himself to hand his gloves to a fellow team mate and reverted to a centre-forward position, and the rest as they say is history. The home team romped to victory, despite the efforts of goalkeeper Neil Scrivener who produced a man of the match performance to keep the score respectable.

They said:

Jon Stump, Finance Director at Mick George Ltd commented: ‘’Once again, it was another tremendous occasion that everyone involved should be very proud of. The event has managed to raise a fantastic £15,000 since its initiation four-years back, as well as providing lifelong memories for those fans who have participated.‘’


The latest from social media

Get the latest news & offers